Financial Control Manager - NHS
- Salary: GBP 45000 per year - GBP 54000 per year
- Location: UK & Europe
- Job type: Permanent
- Reference: BBBH137854
Job Title: Financial Control Manager
Team: Financial Control & Accounts (Essex)
Directorate: Central Finance
Responsible to: Senior Financial Control Manager
Context of the role
The post holder will be responsible for ensuring that the financial accounting function runs to a high standard and to ensure that statutory and financial reporting needs are met.
Key responsibilities also include ensuring that performance targets are monitored and met. The post holder will also work closely with external audit organisations / clients to ensure that accurate and timely information is available to assist with audit of annual accounts and will be responsible for ensuring that audit requirements are implemented within timescale. Post holder would be required to work at client premises on a regular basis.
The post holder will provide managerial and professional leadership to staff in Financial Accounts team in Basildon and ensure support and advice is available on financial guidance to new initiatives and accounting policies.
The post holder will also work collegiately with other Financial Control and Senior Financial Control Managers, and to provide leadership and support to the Finance team within the Essex cluster.
Role specific duties and responsibilities
The post holder will undertake the following duties and responsibilities
- Ensure that accounting records are maintained to high standards to enable the requirements of governance, internal and external audit requirements and completion of monthly reconciliations
- Responsible for coordinating and collating evidence as part of the Service Auditor Reporting (SAR) audit, and providing support to the central team during this and other audits as required.
- Responsible for completion of monthly reconciliations with accuracy and to timeframe and resolving any un-cleared balances.
- Responsible for the coordination of the production of clients monitoring returns and final accounts production.
- Assist the client in providing input into the Operating Plans and other initiatives in respect of accounting treatments, and cash implications
- Assist with the Planning and Commissioning Accountants in the production of all Short, Medium and Long Term planning Documents.
- Develop financial accounting policies, procedures and practices, working with colleagues within the function to establish a consistent and effective approach
- Provide advice on VAT and tax. Ensure accounting for VAT transactions is carried out correctly and that claims are made in an accurate and timely manner
- Advise staff and on changes to accounting policy and requirements together with the impact these may have upon the organisation.
- Responsible for forecasting and monitoring the cash requirements and cash limit.
- Responsible for coordination of the agreement of balances process on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Able to effectively lead and manage a team within a matrix structure, where there are multiple points of accountability. The unit will be a fluid and evolving environment and it is expected managers are able to cope with ambiguity, work collaboratively in cross functional teams and manage multi interfaces.
- The post holder is accountable as a senior manager for implementation of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in the work of their teams, and for ensuring their staff are trained in using SOPs. In addition, they are expected to champion the use of SOPs, include training in all induction programmes for new staff and development plans for existing staff, and contribute to the creation and maintenance of SOPs as required as part of the corporate SOP development process.
"All staff are encouraged to help the organisation become more efficient and reliable through continued improvement of SOPs through the agreed corporate processes. Ideas for improvement and development of SOPs are positively encouraged from all members of staff."
Education & Qualifications
- CCAB or CIMA accreditation or equivalent level of experience
- Educated to masters level or equivalent level of experience
- Experience of supervising/managing staff
- Experience of using computerised financial systems
- Experience of treasury management - maintaining positive cash flow position and ensuring good banking relationships
- Experience of producing Statutory Accounts
- Experience of final accounts production within NHS
- Advanced knowledge of Agresso/Oracle/end user systems and other related Financial/Ledger Systems across a range of responsibilities
- In-depth knowledge of VAT rules and regulations
- Knowledge of NHS cash limits
- Knowledge of UK GAAP/IFRS
- An understanding of the current challenges
- Being faced by NHS Finance departments
- Up to date knowledge of Financial Policy
- Knowledge of ESR
- A good understanding and use of capital investment decision making techniques