Commercial Finance Manager
- Salary: GBP 53000.00 per year - GBP 57000.00 per year
- Location: London
- Job type: Permanent
- Reference: BBBH139215
As a member of the Business Planning & Performance team, the Commercial Finance Manager role has responsibility for developing and maintaining the micro-simulation model, which underpins the organisations entire knowledge-base of member behaviour and forms an integral part of the major forecasting models.
With the management of this model, the Commercial Finance Manager is pivotal in driving and shaping strategy around member behaviour by providing analysis to business critical projects that require an understanding of member volumes, revenue and costs. The forecasting model work of the Commercial Finance Manager has applications in several areas of policy development including marketing, where spend on campaigns is based upon the volumes and revenue forecasts and in investment for the development of new strategic product developments. The work is high profile and underpins the strategy development.
The role is responsible for delivering finance business partnering services to Product and Marketing. This includes supporting and enabling the business to make decisions but also provide challenge where necessary.
The role is expected to lead/co-ordinate particular processes or parts of processes (e.g. co-ordination of month end reporting processes, co-ordination of some business planning processes).
Relationships & autonomy
- The role is expected to be able to build relationships with colleagues at all levels within the organisation including regular contact with Executive Team members.
- The role is expected to build strong working relationships with a number of internal teams as well as having regular contact with external stakeholders such as DWP and NAO.
- Job holders are expected to hold expert knowledge in the application of analysis to support strategic development and are required to be a strong advocate for quality analysis in discussions with senior colleagues.
Within the team the job holders will be expected to undertake research and maintenance work on the following areas
- Provide Scheme Member Insight: Challenge and develop thinking on critical input assumptions to modelling, contributing to the substantial programme of work to analyse the Member Information.
- Analytical support to marketing department: Proactively lead the development of actionable bespoke analysis and modelling to facilitate decision making within the organisation. This has previously included employer profitability models, ready reckoners, contracts databases and analysis associated with marketing campaigns.
- Short-term forecast: Leading on the short-term forecasting of volumes, revenues and costs. Ensuring short-term budgets are set effectively. Manage the review of these short term forecasts with longer term forecasts in the annual forecast of the Loan Agreement.
- Simulation model: Using expert knowledge, to support the development of the micro-simulation model and with specialist skills ensure the end results, and the bespoke add-ons, meet the stakeholder requirements and are used to best effective in their application.
- Deliver a high quality finance business partnering service: provide effective support to business areas so that they have access to the information they need, have implemented adequate budgetary controls and give due consideration to affordability and value for money.
- Co-ordinate and participating in the business planning process: contributing to both the budget setting process and the annual Funding Requirement Forecast process, leading on processes and communications where appropriate.
- Answering ad hoc queries from around the organisation, which typically concern estimates of particular membership flows, distributional patterns and potential behaviours or characteristics, statistical analysis for media releases and official documentation.
Some aspects of the work will be adjusted to accommodate the skills, preferences and background of the successful candidate and other team members.
Experience and technical skills
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following experience and technical skills in two of these analytical areas and demonstrate proficiency or aptitude in at least two analytical software packages:
- Analytical software skills. Advanced programming skills with ability to write own functions (current systems use R). Advance experience of Excel VBA
- Excellent general numerical analytical skills - data analysis including appreciation of risk/uncertainty/scenario analysis and population distribution analysis.
- Advanced communication and customer service skills - to ensure customers use analysis correctly it is an imperative requirement that the post holder is adept at dealing with senior colleagues, ensuring analysis, the results and conclusions are clear, accurate and meaningfully conveyed to the stakeholders and across the team.
- Expert project and resource management skills. This post requires the job holder to effectively manage several key projects at the same time
- Experience of being a pro-active finance business partner in a structured, professional environment.
Education, qualification and professional membership requirements
- Full accountancy qualification is required (e.g. ACA, CIMA, ACCA, CIPFA, etc.).